1. If the starter does not rotate at turn of the ignition key in situation START at all, first of all, make the following elementary checks:
a) Check the battery charge level, and also a state and reliability of fastening of wires on plugs of the battery and the traction relay of a starter;
b) Check a condition of wires of the battery (see the Section Check of a State and Replacement of Wires of the Battery). Replace defective components;
c) Check a condition of the battery (see the Section Check of a State and Replacement of the Battery). In case of need replace it new;
d) Check a condition of an electrical wiring and terminal connections of a starter (see schemes of electric connections in the Head Onboard electric equipment);
e) Check reliability of tightening of bolts of fastening of a starter;
2. If the starter does not begin to rotate at turn of the ignition key in situation START, check serviceability of giving of power supply of the battery for the traction relay at the switched-off ignition. On the plug of connection of a positive wire of the battery tension of the last has to take place.
3. The voltmeter probe the plug S from the back party of the socket of the traction relay, э at turn of a key in situation START on the plug tension has to take place. This check confirms serviceability of giving of food on a starter from the ignition switch. If tension is absent, check a condition of the corresponding fusible inserts in the assembly block in a motive compartment of the car (see the Head Onboard electric equipment). In case of an exit of inserts out of operation it is necessary to find and remove the cause of the overload taking place. Also check the corresponding safety locks in the assembly block located in salon (see the Head Onboard electric equipment). If safety locks and fusible inserts as it should be, check a condition of the blocking relay of a starter and a chain of its electrical wiring (see the Head Onboard electric equipment).
4. In the absence of signs of functioning of system of start check a condition of the sensor switch of permission of start/disconnection of a chain of a starter (see the Head the Transmission or Coupling and power shafts). Make sure that the lever of the selector is installed in situation "P" or "N"/check completeness of squeezing of a pedal of coupling.
5. On the car equipped with the anticreeping alarm system check a chain and the module of management of system for existence of signs of short circuit or damage of components.
6. If tension on a starter moves regularly, however its activation does not happen, therefore, the traction relay failed (also the probability of jamming of the engine is not excluded - check, having turned it manually for a bolt of a pulley of a bent shaft).
7. Remove a starter from the engine (see the Section Removal and installation of a starter) and clamp assembly in the vice with soft sponges fixed on a strong workbench. A wire crossing point connect the negative plug(s) of the battery to the assembly case. The second wire crossing point connect the positive plug of the battery to the starter In + plug. Connect the switch of a starter and give food on the plug S of the traction relay (no more than for 10 seconds). Make sure that the plunger of the traction relay is pushed forward, displacing as appropriate the lever of the drive and the obgonny coupling, and the moved-forward leading gear wheel of a starter begins to rotate regularly. If the gear wheel moves forward, but does not rotate, therefore, the electric motor is faulty. If the plunger does not move forward, despite correct clicking of the relay, defect of any of assembly components can appear a cause of failure. On a serviceable starter the leading gear wheel when giving food has to move forward and rotate.